Sunday, February 26, 2012

I read this thought (or something like it) engraved on a brick in Rowayton, CT: “Art is a window into the soul.” I think that’s true, but there’s more to it than that.

It would be nice if I could sit down, turn on a spigot, let my soul drip onto a piece of paper, and call it profound. But things don’t seem to work that way. First, of course, I would have to have something in my soul worth showing to the world. Assuming I do, exactly how should I put it into some form which other people could make sense of?

These pictures don’t draw themselves, you know.

This actually is my second attempt at writing my blog. The first one had to go into the trash at the bottom right of the computer screen (so now you know I’m using a mac). A lot of my artwork ends up in the trash as well.

What was wrong with Blog 1.0 you ask? Too pedantic for one thing. I was just repeating what the teachers used to say back in art school. Well, a lot of what they said was true, but I had to learn that for myself.

No comments: