Wednesday, March 28, 2012

When Editing Photos for Reference...

I’m not too finicky about the color however, and I don’t lose sleep over whether the printout is terribly good. It’s just a jumping off point. If the reference is too good, it can actually limit my options.

Some might say that perfectionism is a virtue, but in my case I think it is anything but. The need to have everything as good as it can possibly be starts to feel like a curse after a while. It makes me contend with guilt issues if I don’t put in every blade of grass and every leaf and every bump on every tree trunk.

Yet if I have learned anything about making a good piece of art, it is the absolute need to leave a lot of things out. Even better, learning to leave the right things out.

Perfectionism pushes me unwillingly toward a sort of hyper realism, but experience and knowledge pull me back toward the abstract, used as a method to correct the tendency to put too much in. After all, to abstract something from a whole is to take it out of that whole.

No comments: